- The museum
- Online tickets
The City and heritage foundation and the renovation of the wood trim
The decorative wood trim in the Hôtel Biron: an eventful history
The ground-floor rooms of the Hôtel Biron were decorated around 1730 in a style characterized by fluidity, asymmetry and movement.
In the 19th century, the congregation of nuns that occupied the property sold this decoration to a number of private collectors, using the proceeds of the sales to fund the construction of a chapel, which now houses the museum’s temporary exhibitions.
The Hôtel Biron became the Musée Rodin in 1919. After World War II, the museum bought back many elements of the mansion’s original decoration, including the wood trim of the two rotundas and of the western ground-floor drawing room.
In 1965, the wood trim was restored to its original setting.
The restoration of the wood trim
The wood trim, a key feature of the baroque decoration of the Musée Rodin, was in a worrying state of repair requiring major conservation and restoration work. It was renovated with the support of the City and Heritage Foundation (Fondation Ville et Patrimoine) of the Foncière de Paris property company.
The renovation was carried out in several painstaking stages by wood restoration specialists. In September 2015, the decoration was restored to its former glory.
When the Musée Rodin reopens on November 12, 2015, visitors will be able to admire the renovated wood trim in the particularly atmospheric ground-floor rotundas of the Hôtel Biron.