1st century BC
H. 78 cm ; W. 34 cm ; D. 21.8 cm
Acquired by Rodin between 1893 and 1913.
This is a statue of a standing woman, clad in the tunic and cloak typical of Ionian statues of young women dating from the late 6th or early 5th century BC.
This Roman copy pleased Rodin’s taste for Archaic sculpture, also illustrated in the collection by the casts of the Hera of Samos and Apollo of Thera. Here, he again found simplified forms and graphic drapery creating geometric planes and effects of light and shadow.
Rodin liked to group the different arts of the past together in aesthetic families. Medieval art, of which he constantly made drawings, was placed beyond the barriers of time, alongside Archaic Greek art: “The pleated drapery [found in] this cathedral is the sort of pleated drapery Archaic Greece always loved; it enables one to fill spaces with sharp lines and to respect planes by adorning them.” (Rodin in Judrin, 1992).